Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Rust

Rust is an iron oxide, usually red oxide formed by the redox reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture.
Given sufficient time, oxygen, and water, any iron mass will eventually convert entirely to rust and disintegrate. Surface rust is flaky and friable, and it provides no protection to the underlying iron, unlike the formation of patina on copper surfaces.
Personally, I love rust! Not just the colour, but also the layered texture of rust, the immensity of variations in colour and shine.
Living in Wellington (island climate, lots of moisture and salt in the air) is a treasure trove for rust and, although I am happy not to see it on my car and roof, I can really enjoy the many arrived patches of rust by simply going out for a walk through the neighborhood.
Needless to say, the colour rust-red (or burnt sienna, rusty brown, terracotta, etc) is one of my favourites when it comes to berets. It used to be available only under the Auloronesa and Aotearoa labels, but Boinas Elosegui now custom made me a burnt-sienna Super Lujo model too.



No comments:

Post a Comment